Saturday, December 03, 2005

GAH!

I'm going to be very egotistical and vent. Most other people get to do it.
A book that has been recently published, a first novel by the young author, is receiving rave reviews. I am very glad for the author and obviously wish all the success to everyone. However, what pisses me off is that I couldn't make it through the first chapter - I found the setting fascinating, but the writing very amateurish to the point where it turned me off the story.
Strangely enough, this only motivates me to write more. Even though I know I am capable of producing crap, I can also produce something decent, and I feel I am able to write better than that amateur tone that turns me off. Writers have it beaten into their heads that 'the chance of publication are small - the chance of success even smaller'. When I see what is being touted as good, and I have seen work from unknown writers that I feel is better, it is encouraging me not only to write but to encourage my friends even more.

GO KICK SOME ASS!

(Maybe I'll have some time next week for writing. *mumble mumble*)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home