Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Little Brown Dress

I've been battling myself lately about life, stuff, my overabundance of crappy stuff, crappy living space, crappy living. I came across this story, about a young woman, a dancer, who decides to handmake and wear ONE brown dress for an entire year. All the time.

While I'm not big on major artsy-fartsy granola anti-society type protests (I do appreciate plumbing), this woman's online journal really struck a note with me. The more I read, the more I liked her attitude about the whole project. She discovered many thoughts during her year that were less about anti-consumerism, and more about the way she felt about herself, her belongings, the way she viewed other people, the fact that most people DON'T notice when you wear the same thing two days in a row, much less months on end. While I've never been about high fashion (or low fashion, or matching fashion, or sometimes even agreeable fashion), I am quite self conscious at times while out being the Business Woman. If we all focused more on people's ideas, strengths and actions, we'd get a lot more done than pre-supposing their 'worth' from their clothes.

I'm gonna go throw some shit out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home